- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
1. Rinse the pearl barley under cold water and set it aside.
2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the minced garlic to the pot and sauté for another minute until fragrant.
4. Add the pearl barley to the pot, along with the vegetable broth and water. Stir well.
5. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
6. Add the chopped Swiss chard leaves to the pot. Stir in the dried thyme and bay leaf. Continue simmering for another 10 minutes until the chard is wilted and tender.
7. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Remove the bay leaf from the pot.
9. Ladle the barley soup into bowls. Garnish with fresh parsley.
10. Serve hot and enjoy!